12.6.07

basel pictoral






a very recent discovery on Kevin's wall led me to Basel to see him read! What a suprise! He gave a fabulous multi-genre reading which included various kinds of poetic texts, collaborations, a play and a best of Kevin Killian movie clip (I think this was the debut of its showing, and was put together by Matthew Hughes Boyko: Eternal Glamou, The Kevin Killian Story...

After the reading ( which was 2 hours ) myself, Kathrin, Kevin, his London friend Tariq took a nice walk thru the city and were guided by Kathrin Shaeppi...who gave a stellar tour, from dates of buildings, to seeming endless historical facts about Basel and Switzerland in general (as well as art )really, she knows it ALL, by the end of the walk, we were asking her everything, to tree names...after coffee at the old abbey we took the traditional boatride across the rhein.

It was so great to meet Kevin and see him perform and read...as well as catch up on some American poetry coffeeklatchisch meanderings...

Kevin will be reading tomorrow and thursday as well at the Art Lounge at 12:30 in Basel...it is free and totally worth it. I would go to each performance were it closer to where I live. He will be performing new material everyday! How cool is that, including new plays written and performed daily... at the Basel Messe, Halle 1, Upper Floor ...

Perhaps this is a turning point for me here in Switzerland, this is the second reading I have been in the spring alone! the next will be next week in Italy, that counts, right?

7 comments:

Small Fry said...

I'm oh so (good naturedly) jealous!

mark wallace said...

Pardon me for interrupting the topic, but unless I'm reading things wrong, from the post on the International Poetics blog it looks like you're reading soon with Joe Ross. He was my first close friend on the DC poetry scene, and a really great person, damn his now-I'm-international hide. Please tell him I say hello.

DUSIE said...

heya,

will say hello for you! there must be some kind of poetical ital.-amer. reconciliation...as jen scappetone is reading as well...i don't really get how i fit in yet....oh and my first DC friends will be in Italy soon as well, Julio & Kaia.

mark wallace said...

Ah, fitting in! So apparently desirable, so elusive. I've never been able to figure it out. I think you should just go as yourself--that should be more than enough to fit in with anybody with sense.

DUSIE said...

will do Marco! yikes...i leave tonight...via the sleeper train...with much wee-ephemera to keep me busy!

this is really a whirlwind trip, only one night in rome...two on the train...but do plan to go to the Keats house by the Spanish steps and maybe a wee vatican jaunt as well. exciting...I love traveling alone...hope to hit all the places i missed the first few times,,,the reading is in an antiquarian book shop...I wonder if there are ever readings by the actual ruins, like where all those vestile virgins keep the candles going forever...perhaps to the natives tho that might be so passé...

Kevin Killian said...

Thanks so much for coming, Susana, and for introducing me and Tariq to Catherine too. What a whirlwind of fun that day was. I'm back here at home in San Francisco, sort of adrift since the airlines lost my luggage coming as well as going. Seeing these pictures of our day brings it all back.

I'm glad you liked the clip reel made by my young gifted friend Matthew Hughes Boyko. The program calls it one thing, but the real name of it is, "Kevin Killian, In the Light."

Have fun with Jules and Kaia,

And again my thanks for your very great kindness in showing about two strangers.

DUSIE said...

hello Kevin!

thanks again for coming to this quiet land and giving a fantastic reading! and, you now are a blogger? I see you have no entry as of yet, but I can hope... more soon!!!!!