28.7.06

the small things...


so, i have been a bit ill the last two days, and how wonderful was it to get the new FOURSQUARE in the mail today! A smile passed over my face, it is lovely really, darling, and just as fab as the first. I am especially drawn to Jenny Boully's work. Jessica Smith, the editor, has really hit the nail on the head with this small press-venture. A monthly publication, which is small and therefore possible, tho not undaunting with all of the fab d-i-y packaging and trimmage...the 4 square form is ideal to bring together very different female poets, whose works seem to work off of the other, as well as with. I am from the NorthEast and never played this game, and I feel like I have missed something essential in my girldome! Actually I find that squares 1,4 &3 sort of breathe on the same frequency, 2 is set out visually as it is more traditional in its compositional form, but when staring at the page as a whole, the others make from an interesting framework/kitty-corner.

I am only left to wonder why I still cannot figure how to do the embroidery stitch, let alone, thread my damn, brand new as it is, sewing machine.

2 comments:

Jessica Smith said...

Thanks Susana... what with tinysides, 4SQ and Dusie, it seems like we're all hitting the nails on the heads these days, and building a fascinating substructure for young experimental poets.

DUSIE said...

yes, i really feel like these are exciting times for poets and poetry. if only i could get my hands on one of your tinysides! i'm glad i got a subscription to 4SQ otherwise i would have missed out on that as well...one has to be quick!